Using a Map and Compass
If you understand how to read a compass and how to read a map, then its about time you learned to use both map and compass together.
Separately, a good map or compass can be very useful, but limited. Together, they can lead you around the world (and back again!) but you need to know how to use them properly. The next few pages will help you understand some key skills in order to be a successful outdoors dude and impress your friends with your map and compass mastery - well, maybe at least not get too lost!
In case you want to skip over some of these pages, the order we'll cover things are:
- Latitude and Longitude - minutes and seconds don't mean time
- Declination - and adjusting your compass
- Set a Heading - from map to compass
- Orienting a Map - lining up with the real world
- Triangulation - making order out of chaos
- Planning a Route - getting a clue before going ahead
Next: Latitude and Longitude
What's white and furry and lives at the north pole?|
A polar brrrrrrrrrr!
|Search Google News for more 'Lost Hiker' news items.|
More Map and Compass Resources at CompassDude.com